Education Tax Benefits 2021 - 2 CPE Credit Hours
Today taxpayers must plan for their children's education. Touching on various topics such as qualified tuition programs (QTPs), scholarships, and fellowships, this mini-course examines the tax treatment of costs related to education. Practitioners will learn the ins and outs of the tax benefits concerning education and will be able to identify those educational expenses that are deductible. Additionally, financial planning strategies and techniques are outlined to better prepare taxpayers for future educational costs.
Completion Deadline & Exam: This course, including the examination, must be completed within one year of the date of purchase. In addition, unless otherwise indicated, no correct or incorrect feedback for any exam question will be provided.
Course Level: Overview. This program is appropriate for professionals at all organizational levels.
Field of Study: Taxes
Prerequisite: General understanding of federal income taxation.
Advanced Preparation: None
Learning Assignment & Objectives
As a result of studying the assigned materials, you should be able to meet the objectives listed below.
At the start of the materials, participants should identify the following topics for study:
* Work-related educational expenses
* Educational expense credits
* Education savings accounts
* Deduction for student loan interest
* Qualified tuition programs
* Higher education expense deduction
* IRA withdrawals for education expenses
* Scholarships & fellowships
* Educational savings bonds
* Educational incentives & financial aid
After reading the materials, participants will be able to:
1. Identify deductible education expenses and travel costs under the requirements of §162.
2. Determine the qualified credit amounts under the HOPE (“American Opportunity”) Credit and the requirements of Coverdell education savings accounts.
3. Identify the deductible amount to claim for §221 student loan interest and recognize the permissible benefits of §529 qualified tuition programs.
4. Specify the tax-free benefits of §117 scholarships and fellowships and who is eligible for a §132 qualified tuition reduction.
5. Identify educational incentives and financial aid requirements to meet college funding needs.
After studying the materials, answer the exam questions 1 to 10.